PLEIN AIR ARTISTS

An Online Artist's Coop for Artists who Paint on Location

I am in search of suggestions for an umbrella set up that is light weight and does not attach to a pochade box (They always seem to blow everything over). Is there a good one that would also set up on sidewalks where there is no soft ground to stake it in? I have been using an umbrella attached to an extra tripod with a big heavy quick grip. This works but is not light weight.
I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Lisa Mozzini-McDill

Views: 3344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now that would be some picture! It is 103 here today and yet no nude painters, just fires. Could you send some rain?

Tony Robinson said:
No Lisa, I haven't used it but it is the one with the magnets. A friend of mine has recently bought one of those bitter-root boxes and I'm intrigued to see how they work as I am an incorrigible customiser. In Ireland, where I live, we only need umbrellas to keep the rain off, not as a sunshade. If we had any sun, we'd strip off and stand in it.
Wouldn't be much of an oil painting in my pelt or otherwise, but in any case, I don't think I'd be sunning myself at those temperatures.
103 in September?
Forget the umbrella, Lisa, and go get yourself an ice-cream van.
Yes, 103! September and August are typically the hottest here.

Tony Robinson said:
Wouldn't be much of an oil painting in my pelt or otherwise, but in any case, I don't think I'd be sunning myself at those temperatures.
103 in September?
Forget the umbrella, Lisa, and go get yourself an ice-cream van.
Hi Lisa,
I use the "shade buddy" and have had very good luck with it, even in windy conditions. I agree with others, though, that finding shade is the best.

Lisa, Pat here, did you solve your umbrella dilemma? I have a Shadebuddy which is ok, if not paved or on lots of rock, but I was looking at the Best Brella, they have a video on their site bestbrella.com....looks like worth investigating.  Might check with some of our members of our group, that have them.

I have an Alla Prima, and I have used the shade a couple times, but mostly getting out of the sun is the best option.

Sherry

Tony Robinson said:

I see Alla Prima Boxes have a little gizmo available to clip just an ordinary spare panel as a little sunshade over the painting. Sounds like a handy idea and less cumbersome than umbrellas. Anyone know if it works well?

I bought an Art Essentials one.It's nice and light, the attachment is a ball and socket and very strong. Took me a while to figure out how best to attach it.

umbrella here's the link.

I have a large Tommy Bahama umbrella (UVA and inside is a silvery color) that I attach to my chair . . . I put the long "stand" part on the chair legs with several  "u clips", then when outdoors I put the umbrella into the "stand". When it's windy I don't blow over.  I'll try to send a picture next time I set it up.

Lisa,  I am tooting a horn for the BestBrella, the answer to your dilemma of finding a quality brella that will attach to your set up.  I use one and find it a necessary item for my plein air gear. Yes, you do have to have a care about where you attach it, if attached to your set up, in windy conditions, be sure to anchor your set up. You set it up and end up forgetting about it.  The sun creeps up again, and a slight adjustment of the brella works.  The magic is it will hold to any position you put it in.  Check out the web site, at BestBrella.com.  There is also a great video on YouTube that gives you some visuals... here...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avc4jzOcOlw

I just came back from painting in San Francisco, and am including a pic of my set up.  I have $300.00 of pastels in that box,  when anchored, this system works very, very well (using my back pack -weighted -to anchor the tripod).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by Donald Maier.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service