Wow it was hot yesterday! and a friend had invited me to paint in her garden during the early afternoon....1:30 pm to be exact. So here are some tips when you don't have shade.
1. Umbrella (of course, I didn't have one)
2. Sunscreen (please apply before you get there so it has time to permeate the skin...I like the spray bottles...feels cool when it goes on and you can keep reapplying it)
3. Wide brim hat (this I don't go out without....it lies on the back seat of my truck)
4. Spray bottle of water with a touch of alcohol (not the drinking kind). Don't spray this on you since it will dilute your sunscreen. Just spray into the air above and around you. The alcohol will keep bugs away and it dries faster than water and cools the air quicker. When painting on the island, I mist pure alcohol into the air around me. The gnats hate it.
5. Paint small - paint fast. Capture the focus of the painting quickly with as few a strokes as you can, then paint another. Changing your focus every 30 minutes will keep you from getting so hot on one side!
6. Take a break between each painting....walk to a shade and drink a bottle of water.
I know these will work for you because I did three small paintings in a two hour session yesterday....and these tips saved me from the heat of "hotlanta"!